Thursday, December 5, 2013

12-5-13 The initial post

So, we've had a lot of people ask about our lives on the road, or what its like to be a touring band, or want to know more about us than just what our music sounds like. So I thought about my favorite band; and as a fan, I want to know more about them than just their music - I want to know where they came from, and how they got together, and how they came up with certain songs, etc.  So I guess it actually makes sense that some people out there would want to know more about us than just what they see/hear at our shows. Anyway, it was suggested that we find a way to let people out there know more about what its like to be in this band.  So here's the best way I could think of: to just start writing.  Facebook didn't seem like the appropriate forum, Twitter doesn't give enough characters, and I don't know all the new hip social media sites, so a Blog it is.

And yes, I know I am officially about 12 years behind the times with a blog, so in my head its not really a blog. But its not cool to call it a diary either, right?  Journal?  Kind of.  and we even thought about doing a video thing each week, but that's too much work and its much easier for me to stop and think about it by typing.  So here we are.  You know, when we started touring I kept a journal of all the funny or interesting things that happened out on the road, thinking that one day it would make a great book. But I never thought about sharing those stories right away.  So maybe this is sort of a continuation of that.  Who knows.  Or maybe sometimes i can go back and find some of those stories for you too.

When starting a blog, apparently you have to have a title.  So after spending way too long thinking about what would make an appropriate title to encompass what all we're talking about, that is what I came up with: "The Road is my Needle".  Let me see if I can explain.  For me, being on stage is such a great high; its my drug.  Other musicians know what I'm talking about. I get such a rush from playing music, and feeling the energy from a great enthusiastic crowd.  But so much of my time is spent off stage; traveling from one town to the next, sleeping in hotel rooms, setting up or tearing down the gear before or after a show.  So being out on the road seems to be the thing that gives me access to my 'drug'.  Touring allows me to find my high.  Hmm, maybe the road should be my dealer, or the guitar is my needle.  No, this title works for me.

I guess just a little background is appropriate so we're all on the same page here.  We've been touring the country playing music for about 4 1/2 years now.  (wow, it both seems like a long time and just seems like we started yesterday).  We've played in 25-30some odd states, and hundreds of towns.  We say we're based out of Lexington, KY.  Our band is based there; I actually am from and live in Indiana.  But yes, the rest of the guys live in Lexington.  When we're out, that is what we consider our home base.  But when we are playing in Kentucky, its not really a 'home show' either, since we don't play there on a consistent enough basis to have the hometown fan kind of feel to it. We have one album out, and are almost finished with our second.  Its all original music, performed by us (which makes me very proud by the way).  We have gone through a few member changes over the past several years; each one most definitely leaving their mark in some way on this band, the music, and our fans.  You have no idea how many stories we continue to tell about Aaron and Brent.  I'm sure some of those stories will be re-told on here.

So maybe now would be a good time to introduce the guys in the band. Our lead guitar player is Kevin.  He's been with me since we started touring.  He's been with me for almost 5 years now.  He is the 'band leader' of the group.  And probably also the dad too.  He does his best to keep us in line. Then there is Josh, our bass player.  He is the youngest of the group, and has been with the band for over a year and a half.  If you've met him, you already know that his laugh is infectious.  And although he is not the newest member of the group, we still haze him like he just joined us last week.  Then there is our drummer Steve, who joined the group last March.  Wow, it doesn't seem like its been 9 months already. Steve has one of the most solid grooves you'll ever hear.  And is one of the best harmony singers around.  He definitely has helped make us a tighter band.  And I am Mike; or Michael; or "hey you" as some people like to call me. The 'lead singer', or 'front man'.  I just tell people I'm the self-centered guy that names a band after himself.  Actually, I just couldn't come up with anything better all those years ago when trying to come up with a band name late one night in my apartment in Nashville.  So the name stuck, and followed me up to Kentucky, and then followed me again all the way around the country.  I keep telling myself that some day I'm going to actually make it a band name.  I think that would be more cool anyway.  I have a name in mind.  But when is the right moment to change the name of a band?  It seemed to work for my friends in the band Wayland though.

Anyway, that is us.  And here we are.  This will be our way of sharing our lives and our experiences for those few out there that are interested.  So please, feel free to let me know what you'd like to hear about.  Because honestly, I feel like 98% of what we do is pretty boring, and frankly I'm going to need some ideas about material here.  So just let me know and we'll talk about it.  (just thinking, how will you let me know?) We have Facebook.  Also an email address: michaeldband@gmail.com.  And hopefully I'll be able to set this up so you can comment on these posts (so lets keep the comments appropriate, b/c my mom might be reading...)

Lastly, I think its important to always be promoting, so here is my attempt to link all of our websites and social media pages to this 'blog'.
www.themichaeldband.com
Facebook.com/Michael D. Band
Twitter: @themichaeldband            

4 comments:

  1. This is a great idea to keep fans and friends updated and to give some what of a personal level to relate to the band.
    What do you guys do for fun when your not on stage or working on your albums?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to hear about the things that influence your music. If you weren't in a band, what would everyone be doing?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just looking at Maria's Facebook, and saw that you have this blog! (This is Hult). Ummm, did you tell me about this? Cripes, I have a lot of catching up to do. Hope all is well with you...reckon I'll find out as I keep reading. Good luck always-miss you buddy.

    ReplyDelete