Thursday, December 19, 2013

"Radio Stations / Christmas Wishes"



Last Sunday we left Lincoln, NE at about 1:30am driving through the night heading east toward Indiana and Kentucky.  I think this is one of the most difficult things about what we do – play a show, then immediately tear down afterward, get in the van and drive overnight.  The reason we do it is logical: it is the last show and we all want to get home as early the next day as possible. But actually driving overnight following a gig is rough.  Some of the guys fall asleep easily after a show and are able to sleep for a few hours as we drive down the interstate.  But someone has to drive, right?  And we try to have a policy that during an overnight run, someone stays up with the driver.  And as difficult as it is to drive late at night when you’re tired, it is often more difficult to stay awake with the driver.  There’s nothing to keep you awake except energy drinks and the radio.  So the best you can really hope for is to find an old radio station that plays all the best classic country that you never get to hear on Top 40 stations anymore.  I was struggling to keep my eyes open at 4am driving through Des Moines just wishing to find a station with some George Jones or Haggard or something.  Well, guess it was just another glamorous night as a musician.  Sure wish we had a bus driver.  And come to think of it, a bus too.   Eh, maybe someday soon. 

Someone recently asked what each of us would be doing if we weren’t in a band.  Good question, although one I’m sure none of us really wants to think about.  But now that I am thinking about it, it kind of makes me laugh to think about what the other guys might possibly do with their lives if they weren’t musicians.  I picture Steve as a Radio DJ.  He has the perfect voice for it.  Probably working for one of those classic country stations we try to find on late night drives.  I picture him doing the overnight shift, playing the songs he wants to hear, tapping along with the music with his headphones on.  How about Josh?  Well, he is actually taking recording classes as we tour, so I know that his goal is to record and produce.  But what if he weren’t doing that?  Hmm… Josh seems to have had about a million odd jobs, so I’m sure he’d have no problem finding ways to make money; but who knows where Josh would be without a bass guitar in his hands.  Kevin: this one is easy.  He has so much knowledge about how sound systems work, and how stages should be run, etc.  And he also is pretty good at building things.  So Kevin would probably be doing one of two things: either he would be a stage manager for some touring band, or he’d be building and selling road cases (and pedal boards, and amps).  Have you seen our drum case he built?  It is pretty impressive.  As for me… I’d like to think I’d somehow put my education to good use.  But I have a biology degree, and can’t see myself stuck in a lab.  So maybe I could use the Psychology minor and get back into counseling.  I wouldn’t be opposed to eventually starting up my own Indie label and working with other bands and musicians.  Or wait, I’ve got it: the perfect job for me would be a food critic.  Get paid to try new foods!  That’s right up my alley.  Okay, so maybe we should all stick with music and this band then.  That sounds like a much better idea. 

Well, Christmas is next week.  I love Christmas time.  For some reason, I really enjoy Christmas trees.  Not sure why; maybe the lights (or the presents underneath), who knows.  And I actually like old Christmas songs.  The classics though.  I’m not really interested in the current pop star singing “White Christmas”.  It is just not my thing.  It does annoy me when radio stations play Christmas songs for the 2 months leading up to the holiday though.  I am good with hearing them the week leading up to Christmas.  And on Christmas Eve, all holiday songs all day long!  But that’s it for me.  And I know I just said I’m not into pop artists doing Christmas songs, so I have no basis for telling you this, but if you haven’t heard them, you should really check out Straight No Chaser’s Christmas album.  For one thing, it is awesome; but also has some funny tracks too.   It is a great twist on everyone’s favorite Christmas tunes.  And it is all a cappella. 

Speaking of Christmas: do you have a Christmas wish?  I don’t have anything personally that I need this year, but I do have a Christmas wish for the band: to find a Label that suits our needs.  Which brings forth the question: what are our needs?  Well, to become bigger and more successful, radio airplay is a huge step; so having a label that can get us on the radio in major markets.  Then, performing our music to larger audiences; so having a label that has connections with promoters that can get us on tours with other national acts, playing in front of thousands of people at a time would really help push us forward.  And that is really the goal: getting our music heard as often as possible by as many people as possible.  Then I guess keeping our fingers crossed that people actually like the music and want to hear it again.  There are thousands of labels out there, but probably only a handful that are right for what we are doing and for where we are right now as a band.  But that is the hope, that they can find us, or we can find them.  Wow, as I read that back, I realize I have just shared the one major thought that keeps me up at night: moving forward and becoming a successful artist (and yes, it definitely does keep me up a lot of nights).  I guess I will be writing completely openly and honestly on here, huh.  So, if by chance anyone out there reading this has a relative working for a record label that you want to put us in contact with, that’d be very helpful.  haha.

We are heading to Illinois this weekend, which is always a good time.  I’m sure I’ll have a good story or two for next week’s post.  Stay safe out there.  Hope you all have a wonderful Christmas (or whatever other holiday you might be celebrating this season).  Check out our WEBSITE and other social media sites.  If you haven’t already, make sure you like our FACEBOOK Fan page, and be sure to follow us on TWITTER as well.  And as always, if you have anything you’d like us to write about on here, feel free to EMAIL us with any questions or comments.  We love hearing from everyone out there! 

No comments:

Post a Comment