Friday, December 13, 2013

"The King Lives"



The Highlight of the past week had to be when Elvis showed up to our gig last Friday night in Alda, NE.  And not only just showed up, but was in full Jumpsuit attire, AND we were able to get him up on stage for a 3 song mini-set with us.  Of course he stole the show.  Everyone in attendance immediately came up to the stage with cameras snapping tons of pictures.  Because when Elvis shows up unexpectedly, you better get a picture.  Thanks for hanging out Elvis. We had a blast! 

We are in Chadron, NE right now as I’m typing this part.  I ate possibly the best steak ever this evening at Feik’s 120.  Sitting here thinking about how amazing that steak was has me reflecting on some of the other incredible (or at least memorable) foods or meals we’ve had throughout the country.  In Belfield, ND at the Roughrider Bar it’s the ‘cheesy-hash’.  The ‘Reno Burger’ at Red Rock Saloon in Milwaukee, WI is incredible.  Primetime in Breezy Point, MN used to have the ‘Shrimp Pesto’ (maybe Kevin’s favorite meal in the entire country).  They don’t serve it anymore, but if you ask nicely, Gus might still make it for you.  Then there’s the ‘Cashew Burger’ at the Anchor Bar in Superior, WI.  Okay, I have to stop thinking about all this food. 

Well, I must say, the inevitable happened last weekend.  We have a song on our upcoming album called “Show A Little Skin”.  As we were performing it the other night, one of the women dancing decided that she needed to act out the lyrics and flashed the band.  About 8 times.  I am trying to think of the first time that happened (by the way, no, it does not happen a lot).   I bet when I was young and first playing in a band I must have thought it was the coolest thing ever for some woman to flash the band.  Now, it’s more like ‘nice boobs, want to buy a CD or a Koozie?’  I guess its true that as we get older our priorities change.  Now I’m just much more interested in whether or not you like our music.   It is more important for me to get our music out there and heard; that is more exciting to me these days.  Wow, I must be getting old. 

So, from our last blog (which was also our first one too…) we had several people write in with questions or things they wanted to know more about.  Which, by the way, please continue to do that.  The purpose of this is to give a little more insight into our lives on the road.  Hearing what you’d like to know about makes it a little easier.  So anyway, here is the question we got asked the most:

“What do you do for fun when off stage?”  It seems like although we only spend a few hours on stage each night, every waking second of our day is somehow involved with the business or the show.  Most of our time is spent traveling from one town to the next.  I hate to think of how many hundreds of thousands of miles we’ve spent in our van over the past several years.  I have gotten better at sleeping while sitting up though.  And if we’re not traveling to the next town, it seems like all we do is set up the stage or tear it down.  A typical day goes like this: wake up early, leave the hotel, get in the van, drive several hours, arrive at the next town, check into the hotel, go to the venue and set up, eat some disgusting fast food, quickly shower, go back to the venue, play the show, tear down the stage, go back to the hotel, fall into the bed and pass out; repeat process tomorrow.  It wears me out just typing all that.  Wait, I haven’t even answered the question yet.  Reading that back, it seems like I just spent the past several sentences complaining about my job, which is not allowed; I get to play music for a living – there’s no complaining about that!  Anyway, back to the question: when we have some down time, I like to read.  Yes, I know that’s not a very cool musician thing to do with my time off, but I’m a book worm.  Anything I can get my hands on.  Especially musician autobiographies.  They’re the best.   If you want to read one that will really blow you away, check out “The Dirt” by Motley Crue.  I couldn’t put it down.  Sometimes if we have a night off we all might go check out another band.  It’s always fun to go see other bands and hear what they sound like and what kind of music they’re playing.  But to be honest, the majority of the time, if we have a night off I’d rather just stay in and rest.  We spend so much time in bars and clubs, sometimes it is nice to not be in a bar on our night off; just stay in and relax and enjoy some alone time. 

Anyway, that’s it for this entry.  Again, please let us know what you’d like to hear about from our time out here on the road.  And thanks for reading and being interested in our lives.  Make sure you check out all of our other online forums as well:

No comments:

Post a Comment